Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thoughts on Philippians 1:1-14


This is not an in depth study on the book of Philippians by no means. This is more like a thought/prayer journal of what went through my mind when I finished reading Philippians. May God speak to you through His words.
I will be posting more on the rest of the chapter and book on what points really stuck out to me. The version I use is the ESV (English standard version). My thoughts will begin when you see parenthesis. Ok here we go, feel free to post comments on what stuck out to you.
Thanks

Philippians 1:1-14
V1-5"Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. "
(ok, first thought that came to my mind was, do I pray for the body of Christ, and the people in my church in "every prayer of mine"? Not so much.Lord help me to stop focusing on myself and remember your church in my prayers with joy.)

V6"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. "
(this reminds me of :"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. "(Romans 8:28 ESV)

V7"It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel."
(Prayer: Lord help me to hold those who are imprisoned and persecuted because they defend and confirm the gospel in my heart, may I never forget to count the cost and pray for those who literally risk it all for you)

V8-11 "For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."
(This is how we should pray for the people in the church and those who are preaching the gospel,that they are pure and blameless. Lord help me to yearn for your church with the affections of Christ,who gave it all because He loved us."And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:2 ESV)

V12"I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel,"
(Lord, help me to have this attitude and mind when faced with trials and suffering, that this has happened that the gospel may be advanced and Christ glorified)

V13"so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ."
(wow, if and when times of persecution come will our neighbors,coworkers and people all around us know that it's is for Christ? I would hope they would know this or else what is the point of enduring persecution if not to tell others of Christ )

V14"And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my
imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear."
(Lord , help me to be much more bold And to speak your word without fear . Amen)

No comments:

Post a Comment